[mythtv-users] Upgrading knoppmyth to ubuntu

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:50:49 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:
> knoppmyth  has been good to me but I am thinking of changing to mythbuntu
> to get some newer versions and access to more frequent builds. All too
> often the answer to little issues has been fixed, but not yet in
> knoppmyth!
>
> knoppmyth has all data in a separate partition (/myth).
>
> So a few questions:
>
> 1. can i set up mythbuntu without destroying that partition?
>
> 2. what should I back up and how? I assume i shold be backing up my
> database, my /etc/ directory and the contents of ~/.mythtv. Anything else?
>
> 3. any tips or howtos or gotchas?

i too am a completely satisfied KnoppMyth user.  but i've been
thinking about trying out a couple of the other 'instant install'
distros just to see what they are like.  however i don't have a spare
machine at the moment to play with and i'm not about to touch my
'production' MythBox. :D
i am planning on upgrading my FE and setting my current FE up as a BE
only machine.  so when i get a replacement i plan on checking out
other distros.
maybe we should add a section to the wiki on distro migration..?
what's entailed in moving between Debian based distros and Fedora
based distros?  what's entailed in moving between distros that have
custom partitions and others that have standard partitions (is there a
standard)?  how to safely migrate an existing database so you don't
loose previous recording info.  etc...
i'd be willing to contribute once i start playing with a couple other distros.