[mythtv-users] Choppy action scenes

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Oct 23 22:02:19 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:17:15 lanas wrote:
> Folks,
>
>   The video captures are choppy when there's action on the
> screen.  By this I mean the following.  When people are standing
> and talking, only with some small movements, the image flow is
> smooth.  But when they start to walk around then frames are
> seemingly dropped at about each two seconds.  This has the effect
> of 'jumps' in the image flow.  Has anyone noticed something like
> this ?  And what would be the fix to always get smoothly-flowing
> images ?
>
>   Capture card is PVR-500, mobo is ASUS P4SP-MX with Celeron CPU
> and 1 MB RAM.  Hard disk is standard and DMA is turned on.  The
> video output is currently VGA out of the mobo fed to a 22' inch
> flat screen.

How fast is your CPU? It's conceivable that you're running into limits because
of a slow CPU. In theory, ~1GHz should be sufficient for SD playback, or even
less if you're careful and tune everything optimally.

Also, was the computer doing anything else while the recording was being made?
It's conceivable that the video is missing data because of heavy CPU use or
bus load during the recording. If this is the case, you should see choppiness
in precisely the same spots every time you play the video, even if you play
it on another computer.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com