[mythtv-users] Not getting all channels!

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 23 23:28:30 UTC 2007

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>  Phil Bridges wrote:
>>  On 10/23/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>  Phil Bridges wrote:
>>

>>  On 10/22/07, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>  Marc wrote:
>>

>>  Usually not.. The encrypted channels are usually encrypted over the
>> firewire
>> port too.
>>

>>  I'm still pulling my hair out over this. I'm only getting 50 of my 320
>> channels to be tuned. I ran the scan utility that was included with the
>> dvb-apps tools, and used the
>> US-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
>> file with it. I put the output into the attached file. It is very
>> similar to the output shown at
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout,
>> but my
>> area isn't listed. Can I assume from the output that I'm getting all
>> channels, and that I have to tweak Myth to know about them based on the
>> scanned values (rather than the current "17#0", etc.)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

>>  You'll need to follow the directions here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_search and here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
>>

>>  I'll try them again, but the last time I tried to follow those
>> directions, it didn't work. The scripts that are on those pages don't
>> work at all. Maybe the scripts are geared towards another distro? I'm
>> using FC6 via MythDora 4. There isn't any contact information on those
>> pages either, so I can't contact the author and get help on the scripts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

>>  What do the scripts do when you try to execute them? In the worst
>> case, you should be able to go into the channel editor in
>> mythtv-setup, view the channels, and assign XMLTV IDs as appropriate.
>>

>>  I just got home and tried running that script.  I ran fixnames.sh (shown in
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_search) and it
>> repeatedly prints out the following:  "./fixnames.sh: line 8: bc: command
>> not found".  I created that script at /root/.mplayer/ and ran it on a
>> channels.conf that I had there (from the scan utility; I copied the scan
>> output text file over as channels.conf, stripping out the non-QAM
>> information).  I never bothered to type up the second script on that site
>> (scan.sh) since the first one didn't work.
>>
>>  Any ideas?
>>  Harry
>>

> What happens if you just do a channel scan in mythtv-setup and then
> use those channels in the channel editor?

Here's a snippet of my channel table from my database.  This is what
mythtv-setup shows me (I'm showing them in 2 rows for readability):
_*chanid   channum   freqid   sourceid   callsign
name   icon   finetune   videofilters   xmltvid   recpriority
contrast   brightness   color   hue   tvformat
*_1170     17#0         17         1            UNKNOWN17#0
               0                                                0
_*commfree    visible    outputfilters    useonairguide    mplexid
serviceid    atscsrcid    tmoffset   atsc_major_chan   atsc_minor_chan*_
    0                  1                                           0
                  1               1              NULL             0
               0                         0

Thanks alot for the help!
Harry