[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Tue Oct 23 23:58:36 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> While that looks really impressive, why do you need all that to watch 6
> videos at once?  I've done that myself on my SD system with a $99, 100mbit
> netgear wireless router and a $25 linksys switch, serving 3 desktop -ish
> machines, and 3 wirelss laptops acting as the rest of the front ends.  This
> all coming from 1 backend (a 2.8ghz, 400mhz fsb P4 and 512mb/ram).  It was
> displaying live tv on 3 of the front ends (from the three tuners in the only
> backend server), and the other three were watching recorded tv shows.  It
> wasn't transcoding, but it was commercial flagging the three live tv shows,
> and I guess this wasn't going on while I was monitoring 8 security cameras,
> but still.

I don't want to start a huge argument but that sounds very unlikely,
unless you had it backed by some sort of massive SAN system using
clustered disks.

What was the hard drive setup?  I ask because you're expecting us to
swallow (assuming hardware mpeg-2 from a hardware accelerated capture
card or dvb, assuming average 5mbit/s per file):

-3 writes
-9 reads
-fully maxed CPU running three commercial flagging jobs on a single
core processor

That makes about 15mb/s written, and 45mbit/sec reading, as 12 io
threads all to different parts of the disc.

Where did you buy this harddrive, and where can I get one?

Did you have a 6-drive raid-0 system with a custom written IO layer?

I'm honestly really interested in this, as it seems impossible.