[mythtv-users] Storage Groups, free space, (and auto-expire?)

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Wed Oct 24 13:56:37 UTC 2007

Ryan Steffes wrote:
> The "easiest" way is a simple script run at regular intervals that
> checks mythshutdown to see if things are idle, then checks disk space
> to see if something is getting full, then proceeds to move files from
> the smaller drive to the larger drive.  If they are in the same
> storage group, which drive they are on doesn't matter much.

I knew somebody here would have useful info.  This was exactly what I
was thinking of, except I wasn't aware of what mythshutdown was capable
of (and it's *very* useful for this).  It should be pretty trivial to
run "mythshutdown -s", parse the return code, and then mv files around
as needed.

As I only have one Storage Group, I could easily automate what I'm doing
manually every few days now.  If you've got multiple storage groups, I
still think you'd need to query the database to make sure you only move
recordings around within that SG.  It seems you could still do that in a
bash script with a "mysql --execute" command.  Again, I'm willing to
work on something more robust if there is interest.