[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Jeffery Swan scientist at engineer.com
Wed Oct 24 14:17:28 UTC 2007

 It really is not too uncommon for 6 or more seperate video feeds to be
running at once while another 4 are recording (plus the security cams).
Depending on the time of year I have up to 9 people living in the house
at once (this includes kids home from college, foriegn exchange
student(s), etc.). The major traffic is at "bed time" when everyone wants
to watch something different. It is also quite common that, while
watching the TV, several people are online chatting, streaming content,
downloading files, etc. Last, but certainly not leaset, are the MP3
streams and vehicle uploads. The kid's cars have laptops that connect via
802.11 and upload/download songs and playlists throughout the night as
they have setup.

As for having multiple backends.. I am cheap. Most MoBo CPUs are 2 Gig or
less so I did not want to put in more than two capture cards per box
(security has four though). Also by putting only two cards per box, I
reduce network bandwidth as the switch can connect the requesting front
end to the appropriate back end... However, this has changed (and I have
yet to update my Topo) and there are now 3 capture cards in the two
satelite boxes as I was running out of "live TV" channels while programs
were recording (the kids set up a lot of recordings - everything from
SpongeBob to MTV to CNN Sports - God help me).

You are quite correct in stating that I have a lot of extra network power
here but when I upgraded from several linksys 8 port switches to the
current switch (and subsequently gigabit ethernet cards in the computers)
I didn't want to have to replace equipment in the future so I went big.
Just think, only a few years ago a 1 gig HD, more than 1 meg of RAM, and
ethernet faster than 10Mbits was basically unheard of... now theye are
all commonplace.

At the heaviest traffic loads, I see about 35% - 40% network utilization.

I have a lot of ideas for expanding and adding to my network and I want
to be sure it can handle the job as the need arises. Is it currently
overkill? Yes...maybe. Will it be in the future? I do not think so.

Oh yeah, and as a certified Geek, it has a really cool wow factor ;-)