[mythtv-users] Upgrading knoppmyth to ubuntu

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Wed Oct 24 14:44:34 UTC 2007

Nick Rout wrote:
> Cecil Watson wrote:
>> Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>>> knoppmyth  has been good to me but I am thinking of changing to mythbuntu
>>> to get some newer versions and access to more frequent builds. All too
>>> often the answer to little issues has been fixed, but not yet in
>>> knoppmyth!
>>>
>> Glad to know we've been good to you.  Newer versions of what?  There is
>> nothing stopping a user from installing the version of MythTV he or she
>> wants, with KnoppMyth.  All the deps are there (I included them for this
>> purpose) and there is even a script on the forum that will do this for
>> you.  We general upgrade to a newer version of MythTV when there is a
>> major reason to do so.
>>

> So this is compiling it yourself rather than a binary package. Maybe I
> should try that.

At this point, yes.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to provide
periodical binaries.

>> Can you give any examples?  If there are issues w/ KnoppMyth, I'd like
>> to know so they can be fixed.
>>

> Nothing really major, i just keep seeing messages about "thats in
> -fixes" or -trunk. Newer versions of myth seem to have some exciting new
> features.

At the time of it's release, R5F27 had the latest -fixes.  Our policy is
not to make a release with -trunk (this once did occur accidentally..).

> I am presently on  knopp R5E50 and feel the need to update it (presently
> R5F27). So I have to back up and update it anyway, I thought I might try
> something different that perhaps won't need quite the operation that
> knoppmyth seems to be to upgrade (I'd much prefer to just do a apt-get
> upgrade).

Backup and auto upgrade.  R6 will support upgrades on the fly!
> So no offence to knoppmyth at all, its been great fun, and much better
> than my own gentoo efforts! Its just while updating I may as well try
> something different (famous last words perhaps).

None taken.  If something was an issue, I'd just want to know what it
was so we could fix it.
>>> knoppmyth has all data in a separate partition (/myth).
>>>

>> Which makes it easy to upgrade.
>>
>>> So a few questions:
>>>
>>> 1. can i set up mythbuntu without destroying that partition?
>>>

>> Don't know.  Don't see why not.
>>
>>> 2. what should I back up and how? I assume i shold be backing up my
>>> database, my /etc/ directory and the contents of ~/.mythtv. Anything else?
>>>

>> Backing up in KnoppMyth should backup all you need.  From the main menu,
>> KnoppMyth > Backup (or sudo mythbackup).  This will store what is needed
>> in /myth/backup.
>>

> Thanks, I will do that.

:)
>> If you want to try something other than KnoppMyth, that is cool!
>> Options are a great things.  As we've been good to you, be good to us by
>> providing details of the issue(s) you had/have so we can fix them.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Cecil
>>

> Regards to you too and thanks for a great distro.

You're welcome.