[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 24 14:47:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 04:42:07PM -0400, Josh White wrote:
>    Its Josh, not John,

Yeah; sorry about that.  :-)

>                        and I realized after sending that, my tone came off
>    differently than I intended.

I thought maybe; I hope I moderated the tone of my reply sufficiently.

>    I think it's a great setup, it's just that it seems like there's a
>    lot of stuff there to do not much more than my little bit of stuff
>    can do. It seems to me that if I had all that stuff, I could do
>    more with it than watch 6 movies simultaneously.

Sure.  I suspect he does, though I see there are 12 more replies I
haven't read yet.  :-)

>    If I were to put all this effort into a system, I would wonder
>    what it would take to really push it. By my quick count, there's
>    13 potential frontends on the network (since there's a lot of
>    windows machines that I'm assuming can't act as front ends), and
>    it would be more impressive if all 13 were all used at the same
>    time, putting all this bandwidth to the test. By the account of
>    the creator, there's little chance even half of that would be used
>    at any one time, and it's not clear just how many of the systems
>    are actually myth frontends. Say this setup was in a hotel or
>    something, where it could see some serious use, then that would
>    be truly impressive. What would you say to a guy with the 20 node
>    Core2 Duo cluster connected to the internet via 28.8kbs modem on
>    AOL 6.0? Sure, it's his cluster, but I imagine you could think of a
>    thing or two better to do to put it to good use, and you'd probably
>    rag on him if he were your buddy.

Rag on him?  No.  I'd buy him a ticket to LA, and loot his house.  :-)

>    Either way, any mythtv system is just a Rube Goldberg
>    implementation of TV, and this is much more elaborate than average.
>    It's impressive in that way, certainly. Regardless, Bravo for
>    putting it all together!

Indeed.

>    My real question that I was trying to ask from the beginning was
>    what does it take to watch 6 videos well that I don't understand?
>    As in I sincerely would like to know, not in a sarcastic way.
>    Though I suppose it's a little late for the now.

Naw, not at all.  Let me go read those other 12 replies, wherein I'm
sure we'll find out.

Cheers,
-- jra