[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:50:22 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Jeffery Swan <scientist at engineer.com> wrote:

>  Josh,
>
> I took no offense what-so-ever by your comments (I'm too old to get
> offended LOL). As for the Windows boxes, they all have a KnoppMyth CD to
> boot from so they too can be front ends. Eventually I would like to have an
> ITX box in each room with a small 4 port switch that also allows a windows,
> linux, or other ethernet devices to connect. As I said, I have been working
> on this system for many years and I expect that I will continue to work on
> it for many more.
>
> My original goal of the system was to have independant music available in
> every room of the house. Then, as video was added, I wanted each room with a
> TV (12 in all) only connected to the network for all viewing needs (no RF
> cable). Next came X10, and I use this exclusively for the house lighting.
> Now nearly every room has a computer for some type of functionality from
> internet surfing, to TV watching, listening to music, controlling ethernet
> appliances, etc.
>
> Currently I am trying to incorporate solar energy into the house and I am
> using the network to monitor statistics, optimaly aim solar panels, and
> calculate the peek energy usage times. I plan on putting this on my Blog as
> well but time is limited and I can only do so much at a time.
>
> One day I would like to have ALL funcionality of the house on the network
> and controlled via touch screen LCD displays... Well, I can dream can't I?

That sounds like an interesting dream indeed.

I too have toyed with the idea of some kind of off grid, networked house
like that.  I'm not sure where you are, but going with ONLY solar seems
risky.  I have a vision of a system that combines wind, solar, and
hydroelectric.  Where I live (In central New York State) it is a rare
occurrence where you have a lack of sun, wind, and water flow.   When
there's a lot of sun, there could be little wind or water.  When there's a
lot of wind, there could be little sun or water.  Either way, the worst case
I can envision would be a situation where it was hot, and dry for extended
periods of time, and I'd have to rely solely on solar.   Regardless, I'd
need some kind of battery buffer, and as a last resort, I could always have
a natural gas generator backup (or even better yet, a hydrogen fuel cell