[mythtv-users] My whole house setup

Drew Sanford lauasanf at wilderness.homeip.net
Wed Oct 24 15:35:55 UTC 2007

Jeffery Swan wrote:
> Gene,
>
> Your points are all very good. My electric bill each month is in excess
> of $300.00 (and all appliances are gas) but I do have a large family. As
> for power consumption, I have been working on an external power supply
> for the entire server room. So far it looks promising but the jury is
> still out. Additionally, for about two years now, I have been SLOWLY
> ($$$) adding solar power to my house. The first change was the water
> (well) pump and the change was quite impressive. Currently I am working
> on moving all computer power to solar (thus the single power unit in the
> server room).
>
> As for consolodating backends, I have tried a few times but not been
> satisfied with th results so, at least for now, this is my setup.
>
> As always, I appreciate your input, keep it coming!

I have looked at several setups for doing some Solar conversion at my
house. Any chance you could give us some details on what you are using,
and how it's working? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. I have a
great location for solar power, and enough land to put out a ground
based array of some size if need be to accomplish what I'm looking for.
My problem is, I look at certain systems for doing what I want (for
example, putting all of my computers on a primarily solar powered
circuit) and I think that might work, but what about X, and I'm simply
unable to find information on X, so I keep shying away. So the more
details on how you did it, how you addressed changeover issues (for
instance, it's been raining here for the past 4 days, surely my solar
supply would have used up any excess by now, and everything needs to be
changed back over to line power - I know systems are built to handle
this, but details on how they work are always vague) etc.