[mythtv-users] Ready to try for Dolby Digital again....

Joseph Benavidez hasuf at pobox.com
Wed Oct 24 15:47:33 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Craig Lovold <craig at lovolds.com > wrote:

> OK, I gave up over a year ago but I think I am ready to try again....
>
> I want Dolby Digital output from MythVideo/Xine.  Is that too much to
> ask for?  I fought with it for days a year ago and eventually gave up.
>
> I'll buy whatever card it takes to make it work.  Does anyone have a
> configuration that will make it work?
>
> Right now I have a Chaintech AV-710 audio card and I have managed to get
> digital audio output, but cannot get it to work with anything but
> 2-speaker output.  Things I have tried have led to either no sound
> output or an error message saying that the device is not ready/available.
>
> I am currently using the latest MythBuntu release, so things should be
> fairly up to date.
>
> Anyone got a prebuilt solution?

I personally have bought a couple Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micros...

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/home.aspx

Not too expensive at around $30.

It's a usb dongle with a connection for an optical digital cable to feed to
your receiver or pre-amp. Couldn't be simpler. Under alsamixer, it's just
got one control (pcm).

In mythtv, set ac3 and dts
passthrough. I think my soundcard's just set to ALSA:default. That works for
OTA HD programs and other videos played with mythtv's default viewer. I
can't remember the exact setting for xine (that's what I
normally use to play videos), and I'm away on business, but I can let
you know when I get back in front of my tvs.

I use software alsa mixing with this .asoundrc file I stick in
mythtv's home directory
(stolen from the ALSA wiki):

pcm.ossmix {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024 # must be unique!
# ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
# ipc_perm 0666 # IPC permissions for multi-user sharing (octal, default
0600)
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0" # you cannot use a "plug" device here, darn.
period_time 0
period_size 1024 # must be power of 2
buffer_size 8192 # dito. It
#format "S32_LE"
#periods 128 # dito.
#rate 8000 # with rate 8000 you *will* hear,
# if ossmix is used :)
}
# bindings are cool. This says, that only the first
# two channels are to be used by dmix, which is
# enough for (most) oss apps and also lets
# multichannel chios work much faster:
bindings {
0 0 # from 0 => to 0
1 1 # from 1 => to 1
}
}
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "ossmix" # use our new PCM here
}
# mixer0 like above
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 2
}

# You may want to make your new ossmix the default for alsa.
# If your alsa programs are complaining that they can't open
# your sound devices, try uncommenting this next line
#pcm.default pcm.dsp0

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "ossmix"