[mythtv-users] svideo trouble

Josh Trutwin josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Thu Oct 25 04:13:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Still pretty new to Mythtv, have a PVR 500 and working live TV on the
composite (coax)x input.  I was trying to hook up a VCR via the svideo
connection and having a heck of a time getting it to work.

What I did (after some googling):

Started myth-setup - noticed there were 2 svideo inputs on each card,
so I created a "dummy" video source for each with no grabber (4
total).

Went to the channel editor and added a dummy channel for each of
the 4 svideo sources - picked channel 3, matched the input source but
did not give the channel a frequency or anything.

Created input sources for each using the above.  I noticed channel 3
was the starting channel so I also put 3 in the preset channel - not
sure if this even matters since I tried it without that too.

Ran mythfillbackend and started up the frontend.  LiveTV still worked
fine, pressed C and switched to the first svideo on the first card -
nothing but a black screen (even though a tape was playing in the VCR
- pressing menu / display on the remote didn't show anything).
Pressed C again, this time showed the second svideo on the first
card.  Still black.  Pressed C again, went back to LiveTV, not to the
second card svideo inputs.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas.  Was thinking of maybe just hooking up the
VCR to the second card's composite for now, but would like to get
svideo working since I bought the cables for it.  :)

Thanks,

Josh