[mythtv-users] PVR-150 IR receiver extension?

Mark Boyum circushair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 05:01:12 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glen Sagers wrote:
>
> > Might want to stop by your local Radio Shack/Frys/other electronics
> store and
> > pick up some heat-shrink tubing - just be sure to get a really small
> size
> > (1/8" or less) and a medium size (say approx 1/4-3/8 inch).  It makes
> your
> > insulation much neater, more compact, and easier than electrical tape.
>
> Always a good idea to use a shrink wrap when you know the work has been
> tested and is final. I simply choose friction tape because a) this type
> of splice is always hidden from view, b) the mess is much quicker to
> undo and c) the client will change his/her mind usually thirty minutes
> after you finish and then again a year later when his/her SO decides to
> redecorate. Rinse and repeat.
>
> I've finally been able to get away for a day and reassembled the studio
> to cook up some very overdue wiki food. The family room plasma will be
> getting a permanent frontend one of these days and the machine will most
> likely end up under the stairs. I'll run the IR today using a PVR-350
> receiver, two unused pairs of an existing telco run, RJ45 connector,
> RJ45 keystone jack, and some punchdown/soldering tools.
>
> --
> mw

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.  Tonight while the wife was out
and after the toddler went to bed, I hacked my IR cord apart and spliced in
a length of CAT5.  This worked great!  My soldering skills are terrible, but
the connections will be hidden anyhow.  I'm still tweaking the bindings to
my liking, but that shouldn't take long.  Eliminating the need to use a
laptop to send telnet commands to the frontend should greatly increase the
WAF!

Thanks again as I wouldn't have thought to cut up the cord on my own.

-Mark