[mythtv-users] Automating the Video Manager

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 06:43:19 UTC 2007

Ryan Steffes wrote:

> Several method to accomplish this.  The one I use is simply setting
> the filters to show everything and use gallery mode to browse.

This, unfortunately, doesn't get you the nice metadata that lets you filter and
sort the display as you like, and gives you nice cover art.

> Another method is to use the fairly cool imbd bulk updater script.  (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/291872?search_string=imdb%20bulk%20update;#291872
> )

I haven't used this myself, but seems like a nicer solution.  The only trouble
with it is you need to run it, or set up a cron job to do so periodically.  But
then it probably wouldn't be there when a DVD rip is completed, and wouldn't
allow you to choose when there are multiple IMDB matches for a video name.

If most of your videos come from ripping DVDs, MythVideo could solve the
problem itself.  When MythVideo has started a rip, it could ask the user to
verify the movie title (initial guess derived from the disk name), do the IMDB
lookup and ask the user to choose the right match if there is more than one,
ask for the parental level, and insert the metadata in the database when the
rip succeeds.  It would only take a few extra seconds to put in the data at
ripping time, and then the metadata would be there when you enter MythVideo; no
need to go to the video manager.

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you