[mythtv-users] Automating the Video Manager

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Thu Oct 25 07:16:32 UTC 2007

>Peter Schachte wrote:
>I haven't used this myself, but seems like a nicer solution.  The only
>trouble
>with it is you need to run it, or set up a cron job to do so periodically.
>But
>then it probably wouldn't be there when a DVD rip is completed, and
>wouldn't allow you to choose when there are multiple IMDB matches for a
>video name.
>
>If most of your videos come from ripping DVDs, MythVideo could solve the
>problem itself.  When MythVideo has started a rip, it could ask the user to
>verify the movie title (initial guess derived from the disk name), do the
>IMDB lookup and ask the user to choose the right match if there is more
>than one, ask for the parental level, and insert the metadata in the
>database when the rip succeeds.  It would only take a few extra seconds to
>put in the data at ripping time, and then the metadata would be there when
>you enter MythVideo; no need to go to the video manager.

I run mine in a cron with the following command

/home/mythtv/imdbupdater/imdb-bulk-update.pl -N -Fileup -Exclude

I found that pretty much every time there were multiple search results that
the 1st option was the correct one so Ryan amended the script several
versions ago to by default select the 1st result but this can be overridden
if required.

Cheers

Anthony