[mythtv-users] Dell dual-quad-core Xeon server for $779

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 25 18:51:29 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 25/10/2007, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Their prices on hardware RAID add-ons aren't too bad either, but they
>> seem way high on the drives themselves.
>
> Also, $99 for a DVD-ROM drive?

Also the same $99 for a plain-jane CDROM drive, not even R/W.

I suspect this is more of a "configuration charge", as they seem to want
the same price for any sort of optical drive added to the base machine.

$139 for a gigabit NIC seems a tad pricey as well, and I won't even
discuss their tape media prices.

As for almost $500 for "backup software", well, more power to them if
they can get it I guess.

I'll bet they are lowballing the initial machine cost and hoping to make
it up selling accessories, so if you can get by with the base
configuration, or expand it yourself, you can get a deal.

The Corporate customers might not go that route as it might impact the
availability of or coverage by a service contract.

beww