[mythtv-users] ZFS - what's the scoop?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Thu Oct 25 20:20:59 UTC 2007

Joseph Benavidez [hasuf at pobox.com] wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:49:30AM -0700, Peter Loron wrote:
> > > I'm going to be rebuilding my mythbox and putting in a 4x250 RAID 5 for
> > > I'm seriously thinking about using ZFS for the RAID volume. Anybody have
> > >  input on that?
> >
> > Not going to happen anytime soon. The current state of ZFS on
> > Linux is not-very-functional experiment.
> >
> > The closest you can get is building a ZFS Solaris box as
> > storage, and mounting that via NFS.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >

> nexenta looks promising if you want to build a zfs disk server.
>
> solaris kernel (thus zfs availability) with the rest of ubuntu built
> on top of it. sounds very intruiging...

I have it running here for doing Solaris network driver development.
It is still a bit raw (or was a month or two ago when I last paid much
attention to it).  When I last tried, it seemed that the ability to do
updates via apt was very limited.  It may just be a lack of manpower.

If you're interested in running ZFS natively on an open source system
that more or less feels like Linux, I'd suggest FreeBSD 7.0.

Drew