[mythtv-users] OEM vs. Retail Drives - Was: Dell dual-quad...

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 21:10:33 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nah, I'll just tell you guys and pretend things will improve....er fine,
> I'll leave a comment on their site.
>
> On 10/25/07, Brian Wood < beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >
> > Josh White wrote:
> > > All I'm interested in is the protection offered by an additional layer
> >
> > > of card board.  I don't care if that layer has an ASUS, Cheerios, or
> > > blank label.  I could care less about anything else.  For example, I
> > > also bought a miniPCI network card for an old laptop.  It came in a
> > > plain box, with some bubble wrap, and an external antenna that I don't
> > > need.  That's fine with me, because it doesn't appear that the guy at
> > > new egg just removed the card from his old laptop because he just go
> > > himself a new one.
> > >
> > > As long as my new drive works, I'm happy.  All I'm saying is that
> > > opening the box to find a loose drive doesn't ADD to my confidence
> > level
> > > that it will work.
> > >
> > > My main point was that I would expect packaging like that from a
> > vendor
> > > in eBay, not from Newegg.
> >
> > You might drop them a note and tell them that, they purport to want
> > customer feedback.
> >
> > beww

I haven't had a chance to read the other thread, sorry if this is redundant.
I just wanted  to point out that with some products - CPUs and hard drives
in particular - OEM units usually have  a shorter warranty than retail
units.  And if you buy a Dell with a maxtor drive, it's covered by Dell's
warranty, not Maxtor's. You can contact Maxtor tech support and they'll tell
you to go screw (in nicer terms) and call Dell.