[mythtv-users] OEM vs. Retail Drives - Was: Dell dual-quad...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 25 21:28:57 UTC 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
> I've had wildly different experiences depending on the vendor. To
> date, NewEgg
> has never shipped me anything with what I consider inadequate
> padding. I did
> once buy a drive from another vendor (I've forgotten who), and they
> just
> dropped the bare drive (possibly in an anti-static bag, although
> I'm not even
> positive of that) in a FedEx box with *NO* padding whatsoever.

Hard disks are sturdier than we sometimes give them credit for,
though.  Ever looked at the shock specs for hard disks?  They're
surprisingly high.  One Seagate data sheet I have handy gives limits
of 300 Gs non-operating and 63 Gs operating!  Of course, if it's
inadequately packed it could still be crushed or the circuit board
physically damaged.  I've gotten boxes from UPS that looked like
accordions.

TigerDirect has sent me drives in antistatic plastic shells,
otherwise loose in boxes full of packing peanuts.  That's about the
lowest level of packaging I've seen for a hard disk.  Retail drives
these days usually just have a similar plastic shell inside a
cardboard box -- the "three inches of foam" method of packing hard
disks seems to be falling out of favor.