[mythtv-users] OEM vs. Retail Drives - Was: Dell dual-quad...

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:48:07 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> I've never had problems getting them to process returns, oddly.  But

Which is why I referred to my experience as "anecdotal" (which also
guides me away from buying Linksys, D-Link and Belkin electronics
(great cables, but everything else they make has died on me)).

YMMV, but I'm not willing to bet on TigerDirect a second time.

The items in question were Shuttle SS-51 computers. The packing slip
said (paraphrasing for humorous effect) "don't even think of calling
us for warranty support - here's Shuttle's number".

Shuttle responded to neither voice mail or email, so I "ate" the units
and transplanted their CPUs and RAM into other computers.

> But I don't buy RAM mail order, period.

I've felt confident enough in NewEgg to order Crucial RAM from them
(no problems yet), and have returned at least one item to them without
a hitch. So I'll gladly continue to order from them (occasionally from
Fry's, too), and ignore TigerDirect.

Calvin