[mythtv-users] Automating the Video Manager

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 00:48:13 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> >Peter Schachte wrote:
> >I haven't used this myself, but seems like a nicer solution.  The only
> >trouble
> >with it is you need to run it, or set up a cron job to do so
> periodically.
> >But
> >then it probably wouldn't be there when a DVD rip is completed, and
> >wouldn't allow you to choose when there are multiple IMDB matches for a
> >video name.
> >
> >If most of your videos come from ripping DVDs, MythVideo could solve the
> >problem itself.  When MythVideo has started a rip, it could ask the user
> >verify the movie title (initial guess derived from the disk name), do the
> >IMDB lookup and ask the user to choose the right match if there is more
> >than one, ask for the parental level, and insert the metadata in the
> >database when the rip succeeds.  It would only take a few extra seconds
> >put in the data at ripping time, and then the metadata would be there
> when
> >you enter MythVideo; no need to go to the video manager.
>

> I run mine in a cron with the following command
>
> /home/mythtv/imdbupdater/imdb-bulk-update.pl -N -Fileup -Exclude
>
> I found that pretty much every time there were multiple search results
> that
> the 1st option was the correct one so Ryan amended the script several
> versions ago to by default select the 1st result but this can be
> overridden
> if required.
>
> Cheers
>
> Anthony

I dont use video manager update anymore. It does not set a videocategory.  I
have a cron job executing a script that downloads video podcasts and puts
them into specific directories and then updates the videometadata afterwards
with a coverfile and description.  Videos are then sorted through with
MythVideo's filters using the videocategory entry in the database.  If I
need a new directory, I just specifiy it as "local" in bpvid.conf.  If I add
or delete manually any video in any dir and execute the script with
"refresh" arg, it searches each dirs and deletes videometadata info for
files no longer in the dir, and adds a generic videometadata for files that
are found in the directory.  It is somewhere in this list.   Search for
bashpoddervid.shell.  Perhaps it can be edited for your specific needs.
Just be wary though as it will delete any videos or dirs that are not
specified in the bpvid.conf file.