[mythtv-users] RAID suggestions?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:07:22 UTC 2007

> In my own personal MythTV journey I ended up at Hardware Raid5 (3ware)
> and wish I had done it a LOT sooner. 3-4% CPU load under full-bore
> read/writes, OS independance,etc... Well worth it. Take the $200-$400
> hit (depending on the card/channels) and go HW Raid. Well worth it...

How fast are the writes? With linux software raid 5 or 6 on computers
of 2Ghz or better I get cpu usage of 5 to 7%. Reads are nearly raid 0
speed counting only the data disks (subtract 1 for raid 5 and 2 for
raid6) but writes are only a little better than the speed of one disk.
At work I do have a single 3ware card but it is only on windows and I
did not get time to to any performance comparisons in linux where I
have > 10TB of software raid (5 and 6).

John