[mythtv-users] continuing Hauppauge HVR-3000 DVB-S tuning woes

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Oct 26 17:55:23 UTC 2007

Mark Guz wrote:

>     On 10/25/07, *Mark Guz* < mark at guz.org.uk <mailto:mark at guz.org.uk>>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi there,
>
>         I've been battling with this card for over two weeks now.
>
>         No matter what drivers I use I cannot get mythtv, scandvb or
>         szap to lock on to any frequencies on Astra28.8E that are on the
>         loband.
>
>         However if I use dvbstream to go straight to one of the channels
>         , BBC 1 Scotland e.g, then it locks and I can pipe the output
>         from dvr0 to mplayer...
>
>         If i plug the details of the same BBC 1 Scotland channel into
>         the myth database it doesn't work either.
>
>         plus those channels that do work (ie those on the highband)
>         suffer from breakup and pixelation in myth but are crystal clear
>         using dvbstream and mplayer.
>
>         I have a UNIVERSAL LNB, with the usual settings.
>
>         The sky digibox reports that the lnb is set up with 9.75,10.6
>         and 22khz on.
>
>         I'm stumped and am close to giving up.
>

>         currently i am using v4l-dvb-20070818 patched with multiple
>         frontend patch, but i've tried stoth's hvr3000 tree and the
>         latest hg clone of v4l-dvb and it makes no difference.
>
>         I can't be the card as It does work with dvbstream.
>

>         Mythdora 4.0, 2.6.22-9.61.fc6 kernel.
>
>         Regards
>
>         Mark Guz
>

>         Have you tried the card in a different box?
>
>         I had trouble with my NVidia graphics card and the Nvidia drivers
>         interferring with the HVR-3000. Switching to the nv drivers
>         stopped the
>         interferrence. Eventually I realigned my dish and this sorted
>         the problem
>         with the nvidia drivers. It seemed to be the case that when the
>         video
>         card was busy (playing full screen video) it caused
>         interferrence on the
>         HVR-3000. This could explain why you see it working in mplayer
>         but not
>         mythtv ?
>
>         I'm still running kernel 2.6.18 and Steven Toths HVR3000 drivers
>         from
>         linux-dvb. I didn't think there was any other way to get the
>         DVB-S to
>         work on the HVR-3000. Have you tried this?
>
>         Robert.
>

> I don't have another box to try it in unfortunately
>
> I have used the steven toth hvr3000 drivers as you suggested in the
> other thread,  the latest cvs drivers and the ones i'm using now.
> nothing makes any difference.
>
> I can't get any channels in the lowband H or V only the highband using
> scandvb or dvbtune or mythtv. The low band is accessible via dvbstream,
> which leads me to believe that the drivers are working.
>

> The sky digibox has no problems at all.
> The channels in the highband i do receive suffer break up in livetv, but
> also if i record and then playback using myth.
>
> I've read much about lnbs over the last two weeks and I wonder if myth
> [...]

Do you have a disecq switch connected as part of your satellite setup?
I seem to remeber reading that HVR-3000 doesn't work with them (yet)?

I must admit, I feel much the same about my HVR-3000.  The DVB-S
reciever seems to need a *really* good signal - better than my cheapo
FTA set top box.

When I bought it, I thought I'd be able to record DVB-S, DVB-T and
analog simultaneously - I tried once, DVB-S + analog and only one would
work at once.  The analog tuner seems pretty poor - both quality wise
and the fact that it has problems detecting/loading the tuner module (so
poor that I don't use it).

Having said that I've have DVB-S working well enough since the start of
this year.

The linux driver support isn't great.  Steven Toth seems to have done a
good job (they work for me(tm)), but they've somehow gotten stuck in in
DVB and don't seem to be getting any nearer to the mainstream kernel
tree which is a shame.

Sorry, I don't really have any more suggestions for what you can try...

Robert.