[mythtv-users] cheap ($250) HD component video capture..

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Oct 26 21:14:48 UTC 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:
> I used to encode SD MJPEGs with my PIII back home, doing the same
> with HD and a core 2 duo shouldn't be any harder.

Is your core 2 duo six times faster than your PIII?  There are
anywhere from six to nine times the pixels to deal with, depending on
what resolution you were recording SDTV at..  And it seems like video
encoding processes generally only run in a single thread, so you're
going to have to do it with one core.  Maybe when 4.8 GHz chips come
out? ;)

Considering that modern CPUs are hard pressed to play back HDTV
streams without hardware acceleration, encoding them on the fly seems
like a tall order.