[mythtv-users] CardID renumber

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 27 04:01:21 UTC 2007

On 10/26/2007 04:50 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 26/10/2007, MythTV User <mythuser at mydean.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got two tuners however, they are numbered as Tuner/Encoder 1 and
>> Tuner/Encoder 3. I think this happened when I added the 2nd one thru
>> mythtv-setup, which came up correctly as Tuner 2, then deleted this tuner
>> after some testing. The next time I added it, it came up as Tuner 3.
>>

>> Is it as simple as running an sql command to change the cardid field at
>> table capturecard? I am hesitant on deleting it and adding it back again in
>> mythtv-setup as it may came out as Tuner 4 :).
>>
>> Please send me the exact sql command. Thanks.
>>
> As Brad states, this is really a cosmetic issue.

Exactly--especially since on a properly configured system, you won't
even see the "cardid" (or cardinputid).  You should assign names to your
inputs, and they'll be called--whatever you named them.  (This assumes
that "properly configured" means you've assigned a name since you didn't
want to see the "default" names.)

>  The table uses an
> autoincrementing field which is only reset in MythTV when you choose
> the 'Delete All' option in capture card setup. This options truncates
> the table, producing the cardid field reset.

I haven't posted this often enough this week, so as long as it's
relevant here (though already nicely summarized):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

> If you manually renumber cardid 3 to cardid 2, remember that in the
> future, the next card you add via mythtv-setup will be cardid 4 - you
> will then be missing cardid 3.

Not to mention all the things you could break (depending on the
specifics of your configuration).  Hacking the DB data should only be
attempted by people who are familiar enough with the internal workings
of MythTV to know better than to hack the DB data...

Mike