[mythtv-users] Can mythtv play VOBs?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:57:37 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 04:20:30PM -0400, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> > If SeaTools fails as well, it's almost certainly a physical problem
> > with the drive, and you're likely boned, at least for that volume.
> > You may be able to recover the other volumes on it long enough to move
> > the data off if you can get pvscan vgscan to return anything without
> > locking it up.
>
> I'm sure it's physical.  But it's *only that range of sectors*.  I can
> talk to all the rest of the drive all day long.  Reading those sectors
> locks up the controller.
>
> pvscan dies just like everything that touches them.
>
> So, to recap: is there some way I can attach *one* PV of a VG to a
> Linux machine, and boot it to where I can dd around on the /dev/hda
> without the LVM layer puking?
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --

I'm thinking you'll need much more help than I can provide.  I can
only think of things to try that'll completely bork you if they fail.
For example, you MAY be able to split off the three good drives using
vgsplit, as outlined briefly here:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/vol_splitting_ex3.html
 but I'd imagine the consequences for locking up while trying would be
fairly severe.