[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Oct 27 06:27:27 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On 10/25/07, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eyal:  I'm a little confused about the comment that they lied about
> the TV being native 1280x720.  I thought most TVs tended to have
> overscan.  My RP CRT is definitely native 1080i, but it has at least
> 5٪ overscan.

This is a digital (rear projection DLP) TV, and as such there is no such
thing as overscan, which was a feature of the analogue process in good
old analogue. The pixels on the edge are no more wobbly than the ones at
the center (which did happen in analogue TV).

The input is digital (DVI/HDMI) as is the projection system (DLP). Anyone
claiming 1280x720 in a digital process and not delivering it is simply lying.

When they say that it is native 1280x720 there should be 1280x720 pixels
all the way from the input to the DLP chip and finally on the screen.
This is not the case for this unit, which has far less on the screen.

With the technical menu you can shift the part of the 1280x720 input
that will be displayed (on the lower res output) but there is no way
to simply have it all on the screen, as it should.

Executive summary: LG lied. And I hear they were not the only ones.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)