[mythtv-users] OT: Portable Media Player

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 09:48:35 UTC 2007

> James Pifer wrote:
> > Sorry for the off topic post, but I'm having a terrible time finding
> > what I want. In short I'm looking for a portable media player for my
> > son. He will be buying it, but I'm setting the guidelines. Initially it
> > will be mostly an MP3 player, but will eventually be playing videos,
> > showing photos, and playing games if the device is capable. Right now
> > he's using my hacked GPS device using TCPMP and I want it back... :-)
> >
> > Here are the said guidelines:
> >
> > -MP3 player needs to support a playlist function.
> >
> > -Screen size needs to be at least 3" inches. I don't want him straining
> > his eyes trying to watch something. My phone/pda has a 3 inch screen and
> > even though it is small, it's not too bad.
> >

> A couple of devices you might consider:
>
> The GP2X
>
> http://www.gp2xstore.com/
>
> It doesn't support all your requirements, but, being an open source
> device, with a lot of third-party software available, it could almost
> certainly be made to do so.
>
> Biggest problem is that it can't be purchased in the USA directly (if
> that's where you are). I ordered mine from Hong Kong and had it shipped
> here with no problems.
>
> The Nokia 770 (or the newer 800).
>
> At least this can be had from US vendors, and again it's a Linux device.
>
> You'll have to look into them to see what you think, but these are
> devices that don't get a lot of publicity, so I wanted to make sure you
> were aware of them.
>
> beww

I have a 770, and it's great for streaming music and video. Video Quality is
not fantastic, but perfectly watchable. 770 is now withdrawn from sale.

 The N800 on the other hand would make a great player, twin SD slots means
that if you had the cash you could stick 32GB of flash in there. The
software has been ported to the 770, and is really great.

Loads of 3rd party applications and players such as Canola, Kaju, and UKMP.
The box has loads of other tricks such as excellent handheld web browsing,
voip, and gps integration using Maemo Mapper Oh, and look at mediaserv, just
released this week, on-the-fly transcoding and streaming of your mythtv
recordings to the N800, hooks into myth to pull out the recording data.

The Nokia Tablets are the best multifunction handhelds out there, period.

Gary