[mythtv-users] Sender Locations, was: Full HD MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 27 14:59:22 UTC 2007

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Milos Prudek wrote:
>
>> Yeah, they are assuming that. I can think of a number of reasons for that
>> assumption:
>
> Actually, I think it's a more general case of people 'defaulting' to
> answering in terms of their own country if no other information is given.
>
> Which in tern is a more general case of people answering about their own
> experience.

True, but add to that the fact that this is a USA-based list, so absent
any information to the contrary I tend to assume folks are in the USA,
unless the email address makes it obvious this is not so (at least I try
and check that if it seems that it might be relevant, but there are so
many gmails on this list that it's getting hard to tell from thee addy).

I also think a lot of yanks assume that "foreigners" can't understand
English (this includes the UK), so unless the message is in totally
broken English we assume it was written by an American :-) :-)

This is no doubt a result of the fact that most Americans are almost
totally ignorant of anything but their mother tongue, and assume that
others are similarly handicapped.

beww

beww