[mythtv-users] Upscaling SD content on an HDTV set

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 11:50:25 UTC 2007

Hi David,

On Saturday 27 October 2007 11:09:09 pm David Fishburn wrote:

> 1.  I used MythArchive to create a DVD of some of my SD shows.  If I
> take this in and watch it on the new HDTVs, will it accurately
> represent what I will see when I watch an SD recording at home?

Yes, this should be close, but not exact.  MythArchive will lose some
picture info during the transcoding process, but if you use the highest
quality setting, it should not be noticeable.  More important, is the
fact that you will be playing the DVD on a DVD player that likely
outputs its signal at 480p, and you will be seeing the scaler built
into the TV.  With Myth, you will probably be using Myth's scaler which
could look different.  But, in the end, you should get a pretty good
idea of what it will look like.

> 2.  Will Myth do "something" for me to make a regular SD recording
> better when displayed on the HDTV?  Will it upscale the image?

Yes, Myth will scale the image, but it doesn't do much beyond that.
Have you ever looked at a thumbnail image blown up?  It looks pretty
bad - that's exactly the situation with watching SD content on a big HD
TV.  There just isn't enough picture information to display a good
looking image that large.

For me, I watch on a 110" projector screen, so it's even worse.  The
best trick I have is to sit farther away :)