[mythtv-users] Garbled Closed captions with PVR-350

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Oct 28 22:13:15 UTC 2007

Pankaj Chavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been scouring mailing lists and Google on and off
> for a while now to resolve this issue.
>
> I haven't been able to get good closed captions with
> my PVR-350 card.  Live TV shows garbled captions (half
> words, sentence run overs, etc.), and recordings never
> have any captions at all (hitting the T button doesn't
> show any captions).  I have by now gone through many
> revisions of mythtv and ivtv drivers. My current ivtv
> version is the in kerhel version that came with
> gentoo-sources-2.6.22-gentoo-r8, which is I think
> version 1.0.0.  MythTV version is 0.20.2_p14680
> (gentoo version numbering).
>
> I've got a WinTV-dbx 401 card on /dev/video0, and it
> works very well, captions and all. The video quality
> is worse than PVR-350, due to ghosting and show, etc.
> /dev/video1 onwards are PVR-350 devices.
>
> Using,
>
> zvbi-ntsc-cc -c -d /dev/vbi1, I get perfect captions,
> so as hinted in some posting, the problem might be
> with decoding the captions by mythtv, and not in the
> encoding process itself.
>
> I'd really appreciate your help in this matter, as the
> lack of usable captions, as the noise in the kitchen
> and the kids running around pretty much require
> working captions. :)

You can probably determine if it is a Myth/IVTV problem pretty quickly.
If you connect the same RF feed cable that's going to your 350 directly
to your TV set how do the captions look?

If they look good then you probably do have a Myth/IVTV problem, if they
do not then you don't.

You mentioned "ghosting and snow" on the 401, such things can effect
captions very much.

Make sure you use the same exact cable that feeds the 350 for a test,
you might have a bad splitter, connector, cable etc.

beww