[mythtv-users] Garbled Closed captions with PVR-350

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 29 04:34:26 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/28/2007 11:08 PM, George Mari wrote:
>> Brian Wood wrote:

>>> Hmmm... Mine works great, with 150s. I'm not sure if 150s and 350s
>>> behave differently or not in this regard.
>> Just as a datapoint, my PVR-350 displays closed captioning just fine.
>> Capture is from a DirecTV settop box via S-Video.
>>
>> I am running ivtv 10.something - whatever is now part of the kernel.
>>
>> MythTV version is 0.20.2 from atrpms on FC6.
>
> And works great for me with PVR-250's (and used to use a PVR-350).  I
> vote for misconfigured Myth/ivtv.  Unfortunately, I don't know how
> specifically it may be misconfigured.

Yeah, the only way I know to misconfigure captions (ie: have a working
Myth installation and simply tell it to do the wrong thing) results in
either no captions or incorrect captions, not distorted captions.

Only thing I can think of so far is mis-tuning (wrong frequency) or very
wacked MPEG parameters, but that should result in bad pictures. That's
why I asked if the CC info appeared clean on line 21, but I suppose
without a proper waveform monitor I'm asking a little much for real info
on that.

I'll keep thinking. I have a feeling I'm overlooking something obvious here.

beww