[mythtv-users] pcHDTV HD3000 stops receiving

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:04:59 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, Kevin Bailey <ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 08:32:59AM -0400, H P Ladds wrote:
> >
> > I'm guessing that when the card needs to capture a particular
> > type of signal, QAM for example, it loads the dvb-fe-or51132-qam
> > firmware.
>
> You're saying it does that each time that it needs to record
> something ? (As opposed to only at boot-up ?)

I've read varying stories on this, but on the pcHDTV forums I read
that the firmware which is loaded depends upon what is first requested
by the HD3000.  So I assume this means after boot. I'd Like to
research it more, so I'd give this a 75% chance of being correct.

> > What Mobo, Video Card?
>
> It's a Gigabyte GA-K8NE (nVidia chipset) for the socket 754 AMD
> Sempron 3400 and a Leadtek PCI 6200TC (nVidia).

About the only true overlap here with my system is the nvidia chipset
on the motherboard.

> > Can you post the results of dmesg | grep tuner* ?
>
> This is right after boot-up:
>
> [   43.579684] TV tuner 60 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at 0x1fe
> [   43.829573] tuner 0-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
> [   43.829597] tda9887 0-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x43
> (tuner)
> [   43.831812] tuner 0-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
> [   43.831824] tuner 0-0061: type set to 60 (Thomson DTT 761X
> (ATSC/NTSC))
> [   43.831827] tuner 0-0061: type set to 60 (Thomson DTT 761X
> (ATSC/NTSC))

Hmmm, this is just about how mine reads when it is NOT working.

My dmesg -- after successfully capturing video:

tuner 2-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
tda9887 2-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x43 (tuner)
tuner 2-0043: type set to tda9887
tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
tuner-simple 2-0061: type set to 60 (Thomson DTT 761X (ATSC/NTSC))
tuner 2-0061: type set to Thomson DTT 761X (ATSC/NTSC)

Interesting that "tuner 2-0043: type set to tda9887" is included with
mine. Does this imply that 988 (5, 6 or 7) is set after boot? Hmmm,
and there are three type of firmware? hmmm.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but since my dmesg was from after
successfully captured video, and it reads  "tuner 2-0043: type set to
tda9887" this seems to imply that 988 (5,6,7) might relate to the
firmware, and that it is installed after boot.

Note: my HD3000 in question is working much better now. I did three
things: took out the PVR-150 card that is installed along side the
HD3000. Placed the HD3000 card in a new PCI slot. Reinstalled
Knoppmyth with only the HD3000 in place.

Soon I will install the PVR-150 again, and see if the problem returns.

I have some doubts about our problems being related. My troubles
consistently show up at boot time. If I had to bet, I'd guess that
there is an issue with the order in which my PCI cards are detected at
boot time, and the cards are assigned different device #, and this
cause the firmware to occasionally load to the wrong device.