[mythtv-users] Dell dual-quad-core Xeon server for $779

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 29 19:27:52 UTC 2007

Scott Alfter wrote:
> Blammo wrote:
>> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bscwfk1&s=bsd
>>
>> (Dell PowerEdge SC 1430 in case the link gets broken some how)
>>
>> Click bullet #4 in the first box
>> Click bullet #5 in the second box
>>
>> Viola.. you now have a dual-quad-core Xeon 1.6, with 1GIG of ram,
>> 80GIG HD, power supply, case, with no operating system,etc, for $779
>> plus shipping.
>>
>> very tempted to buy one, strip out the mobo, ram, procs, and put it in
>> my server case.
>>
>> I don't have the details on the PCI/E/X slots, etc, but that's a lot
>> of machine for little $$.
>
> After some digging around, I found the system configuration:
>
> * 2 PCI-E slots (8x mechanical, 4x electrical)
> * 2 PCI-X slots
> * 1 PCI slot
> * onboard ATI ES1000 video (PCI, 2D acceleration...a driver download link
>   I ran across suggests that it may be a Radeon 7000 without the 3D bits)
> * no audio
>
> Out of the box, one of these would probably make a good backend or non-HD
> frontend.  I suspect that since the onboard video is connected by PCI, it's
> most likely too slow for HD.  There are PCI-E 1x video cards that could fix that:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161197
>
> The only other question is whether the commonly-used capture cards will work in
> a PCI-X slot.  I know that the PCI-X bus will slow down from 133 MHz and 64-bit
> to 33 MHz and 32-bit if you put a 3.3V PCI card in a PCI-X slot, but PCI-X
> doesn't support 5V PCI.  I have an old Athlon MP dually with 64-bit PCI slots
> (66 MHz, not 133 MHz like PCI-X) laying around, but I've not tried putting a
> PVR-x50 in it.

Sounds like this machine is precisely what it claims to be: A server.

Servers don't need high-power graphics, indeed some don't need any
graphics at all. The difference between a Sun SparcStation and a
SparcServer was the fact that the latter had no frame buffer.

If I had one of these laying around unused I might be tempted to try
Myth on it, but I don't think I'd buy one for that purpose.

Might buy one as a mail/web server though, except then what would I do
with all my SCSI drives?

beww