[mythtv-users] an interesting HD device

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:09:47 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:36:38AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > > If I've read and understood the blurb correctly, that device won't
> > > genlock to and decode analog video without extra (and probably pricey)
> > > components.
> >
> > Like a TVP7002
> > (http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tvp7002.html)
> > for $5.75 in quantity 1000?
>
> *Wow*.  Smack my ass and call me Sally.
>
> That might be enough, yes, and I had no idea those were that cheap.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --

At some point someone is going to make a cheap hardware encoder card that
does up to 1080p.. We just have to sit back and wait or a few of us are
going to have to learn how to get a computer engineering/circuit design
degree. One thing to think about is do you think whoever makes one will get
sued by the video industry/cable industry even if it doesn't have hdcp
support? hdcp strippers are fairly cheap so  that's not really an issue but
it seems like manufacturers are going out of their way *not* to make
something that can be used to bypass all the DRM garbage.