[mythtv-users] Single vs. Dual Core

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:07:13 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> yes.
>
> On 10/30/07, Tom R. <sillyhed2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  I'm (still.) putting together a mythtv box, and here are my options. I
> > can get an Athlon AM2 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (2300mhz) for $108, or a Celeron
> > 3.2ghz 533FSB MODEL D 351 LGA775 64Bit for $85. The real question is, is
> > dual core worth losing 0.7ghz and paying $23 extra? I plan to have two
> > tuners and it needs to be HDTV capable.
> >
> > Thanks.

In the low end, AMD spanks Intel when comparing dual core CPUs, but as power
increases nothing beats the Core 2 Duo at the moment.

I believe Pentium D dual core CPUs are right around fifty bucks at either
Tiger Direct or Newegg. They're socket LGA775, and if you get a motherboard
that supports a Core 2 Duo, it's an easy upgrade* when those CPUs become
cheap enough. My latest Myth box is a Pentium D-based system and will
probably be a C2D in a year or so.

* - I'm assuming it's just a matter of swapping CPUs with no software
changes - If it's more complicated than that, please correct me.