[mythtv-users] How to release an encoder

Paul Manning paul_manning22 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 15:43:41 UTC 2007

It all depends on what your trying to achieve with your wireless connections.  This is my setup.

2 Linksys wtr54GL routers reflashed with the DD-WRT firmware.
My house has a 15db Parabolic Antenna mounted to my TV aerial and pointed at my friends house
To connect to the Linksys I needed an N-TYPE Male socket to TNC Male socket cable

As my friend has limited infrastructure I am using the routers in a configuration known as WDS Point to Point mode.   This allows me to connect the two houses together while the routers still service any wireless devices locally. This is more so done for his sake rather than mine. I actually run a seperate Wireless Access Point at my house because the parabolic antenna mounted on my roof is not designed to  service a broad area like the small omni antenna's found on all wireless routers. Ideally I should have purchased an external Omni antenna for his house as well to assist with the 'WAN' signal strength but with some creative 'outdoor' router placement we have managed to optimise the setup and get a signal strength of around 35 percent with the link rarely dropping below 36Mb.  He is probably a smidge further away than across the street, say 3 houses.....

This was all done for mainly my sake. In Australia the telecommunications carrier Telstra are as useful as tits on a bull and they couldn't install a phone line into my new house for 5 months!!!  So in order for me to get an internet connection I had to be creative.  I now slip my mate some cash every month and he upgraded his ADSL link. I paid for all the infrastructure to connect the two houses (I already had the routers so around 150 dollars for the Antenna).  Now I get my internet for cheaper than ever, I still get a telephone service via an internet voip provider, my asterisk server and an ATA adaptor, I don't pay monthly line rental, and as an added bonus, he gets to watch my cable tv via my MythTV network.

PS - When Telstra did finally get around to installing the phone line I told them to bugger off.  I'm happier with the setup I have now.