[mythtv-users] Single vs. Dual Core

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:41:35 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Just as an aside, the power savings going from two single-core CPUs
> > to one dual-core can be rather impressive.  At work I run a computing
> > cluster on AMD64 hardware, and we've been studying replacing our 2-
> > socket single-core compute nodes with half as many 2-socket dual-core
> > systems, and doing some similar consolidation of our support
> > servers.  Part of the motivation for this is we've exceeded our
> > available A/C capacity.  I ran the numbers and at the same clock
> > speed (2.8 GHz) we could cut our power consumption (and, by
> > extension, our heat generation) by a third.  By giving up 200 MHz per
> > chip to switch to HE-series CPUs we could cut it by almost half.
>
> Have you compared this to the Intel Xeon 5100 or 5300-based systems?
> Last I ran benchmarks for hw sims and sw compiles, the Intel Xeon
> 5100-series smoked all Opteron-based systems.  As an example, I tested
> the HP DL385 G2 vs. the DL380 G5.  I did not look at system power
> consumption, but price/performance.  Price was roughly the same for
> similarly-configured systems, but in price/performance, the
> Intel-based solution won by 25-75% depending on the situation.
>
> /Brian/

Internal Dell documents told us the same thing. They came to show off their
server line, and a chart compared their AMD and Intel-based lines (Same
model and rev of server). Intel blew AMD out of the water, similar to the
performance gains you've mentioned above. Again though, power consumption
was not an issue at the time.

This is why I suggested a roadmap that would lead to a Core 2 Duo. I didn't
consider heat or power consumption, just raw price and performance. When you
hit the high end (consumer or enterprise) , AMD unfortunately can't compete
with Intel these days.