[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 30 19:33:06 UTC 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 12:24 PM, ryan patterson wrote:

> Yes it is unreasonable to expect a TELEVISION to act like a
> MONITOR.  All TV's have overscan.  That is not a design flaw.

I agree, although I think overscan on digital TVs is kind of a weird
carry-over from the analog era.  Analog TVs had overscan because the
CRT beam was hard to control at the edges of the picture, and because
the VBI had a lot of visually-distracting stuff in it.  Overscan hid
the wavy edges, the VBI trash, and (on VCR signals) the head
switchover point.  None of this really applies to a digital TV.