[mythtv-users] Military Waste, was: Nokia N800...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 31 20:08:14 UTC 2007

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> On Oct 31, 2007, at 6:42 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> Stories...Just that.
>> Probably.  Although...
>>
>>> And I have real doubts are to the efficiency of making large titanium
>>> billets from the small amounts in white paint.
>> Since when did the military care about efficiency?  Especially during
>> the Cold War?
>
> The US Army has been remarkably wasteful since at least the Civil War.
>
> One of the Union generals commented that you could outfit a slightly
> smaller French Army with what his wasted.

True, but a lot of that was due to a lack of experience with the supply
and support of a large mechanized (for the time) army. Movement and
supply of troops by railroad was totally new. Food rotted both awaiting
and during transport. New weapons required unheard of quantities of
ammunition, which were often over estimated due to lack of experience.

The biggest waste, of course, then as now, was human lives.

beww