[mythtv-users] Proper Recording Archive Procedure?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:05:23 UTC 2007

On 9/1/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> I know that there must be others out there doing this, so I was
> wondering what others have done to solve this particular problem.  I
> came across mythrename.pl for cleaning up the names of the shows and
> thought that would be an integral piece, but I am open to ideas on how
> to do this the "right way". :)

I'm not sure this would be defined as the "proper" way to do it, but
being in the same boat as you, I'll share what I'm doing.

Depending whether or not I want to clip out commericals, or perhaps
just a piece of the show (like some of the acts on America's Got
Talent) I'll go through and do my edits first, making sure the cut
points are right.

Then, I'll transcode to "low quality" which I've set up as 720x480,
2,048 datarate, high-quality MP4.

Once that's completed, I'll use a combination of Mythweb (for mapping
filenames to shows, by looking in the "recorded programs" section) and
SSH access to the backend, to copy the .nuv files I want over to my
/video/archive/oldtv folder, and rename them so they make sense.

Once the copy completes, I'll delete the old program from the mythweb
interface, and move on to the next recording.

I know I could use nuvexport (or whatever it's called now) but this
method works for me. I can blaze through a dozen programs quickly.

As far as where it's stored, for me, once it's compressed down from a
6.5gig/hour original down to 300M - 600M for the archived version, it
doesn't matter as much. It's on the same RAID volume as the rest of my
recordings.

Hope this helps a little.