[mythtv-users] Trying to use HDTV as a firewire recorder

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Sat Sep 1 22:29:36 UTC 2007

I have a Samsung HDTV with both a cable card and IEEE1394 ports.  For
the past several months I have been able to use test-mpeg2 and "at" to
record shows.  Of course, this has many limitations.

I have set-up my TV as an "OTHER" firewire box.  I created a "channel
changer" program that will power-up the TV (IR blaster), set the input
to "TV", tune to the appropriate channel, and "prime" the firewire using
test-mpeg2.  The problem is that the backend appears to be recording,
but the file is always 0 bytes.

I have tried all 3 speeds (100M, 200M, and 400M) and a few different
cable box models without any luck.  I would appreciate some help getting
this to work.  I can provide output from logs files, plugreport, etc if
necessary.

Bob