[mythtv-users] New motherboard/hardware recommendation

Phil Vid phil.vid at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:10:16 UTC 2007

I'm looking to buy a new motherboard with the aim of 1080i HD
playback. I'm currently running a Athlon 2500+ with an ATI Radeon
9600, 2 DVB-T tuner cards, 1 video capture card and 1 wlan card. The
system has 512mb mem and is both front and backend. It reaches about
40-50% CPU when recording off all 3 sources and playback as well.

I am going to be upgrading to a full HD set soon so I want to update
the mythtv hardware to match. The current configuration has no hope of
smooth HD playback.

It seems I have a choice between just switching the graphics card to
an NVidia with DVI out, say an 5200 or 5500 with xvmc enabled, or
doing a full motherboard+cpu upgrade.

Does anyone know of any motherboards with NVidia graphics chipset on
board, with DVI or HDMI out, that allow 4 PCI cards? Or should I just
go with the cheap upgrade option and stick a 5500 in it and hope the
rest of the system holds up? Can anyone see any obvious issues with
the existing hardware with just xvmc for 1080i HD playback?

Thanks,
Phil