[mythtv-users] Unusual problem

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 4 16:09:10 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 09/04/2007 06:31 AM, Martin Turner wrote:
>> This isn't strictly a Myth question, but only my master Myth
>> backend is
>> doing this so I thought I'd ask here. The box its self has been
>> running
>> more or less fine for about 2 years now except that recently (the
>> last 2
>> weeks) it has developed a stutter.. Now I say stutter because it
>> sounds/looks like it gets stuck in a second loop for about 4-6
>> seconds
>> then continues on fine like nothing ever happened. I don't have
>> anything
>> in the logs (myth or syslog) to indicate what is going on and im
>> basically stuck.. As you can imagining its extremely annoying
>> having it
>> do this at random..

>> - The clock in the system actually stops for the time its
>> stuttering and
>> needs to re-sync. NTP fixes this fairly quickly, but interesting..
>
> That problem is what's probably causes Myth problems.  If you fix the
> clock problem, you'll probably "fix" Myth at the same time.
>
> Tickless kernel?  Frequency scaling?  Both (among other things) can
> cause problems with time.
>
> Mike

I was losing time on one of my machines and it turned out to be an
ivtv issue. I turned off capturing the VBI data on the tuner on that
machine and it was fine after that. I didn't have these other
symptoms, just the loss of time. I never use CC so I never turned it
back on, but I believe it's been fixed in recent ivtv binaries. Just
something else to look at.