[mythtv-users] Proper Recording Archive Procedure?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Tue Sep 4 19:47:42 UTC 2007

Are you trying to conserve space, or be able to use multiple file systems
for your recordings?

I currently do both and do not use storage groups. Here's what I do:

1. Use NUVEXPORT for your archiving to save space. I use it with the
--mencoder option and get very nice recordings that are around 300mb per
hour of video. (if you want my settings file, just ask, and I'll send it to
you in another post)

2. To use multiple drives (I have 3 500gb drives), what I do is move some
recordings from my main drive over to the other two drives, then once moving
is done, I run this: ln -s /media/drive2/* /media/recording_drive/

This makes shortcuts on the main recording drive for the files on the other
two drives. The files are treated just like they exist on the main/original
recording drive. When I want to delete a recording that is on the drive2
drive, I just do it as normal from within mythtv or mythweb and the both the
shortcut and the actual video file get deleted.

The only issue with this method is that you have to monitor your free space
on your recording drive and move stuff over to the other drives when your
free space starts to get low. But it's a very simple and quick work around.

-Thanks
-Steve