[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 4 20:34:39 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Robert Current wrote:

>> Sounds like the best move. Don't use SchedulesDirect. As far as I can
>> tell, SchedulesDirect is only for people who record lots of programs
>> and don't feel like taking the time to record stuff manually. If you
>> either don't care about using up all that time or schedule so few
>> shows that the time isn't worth as much as the $5/month is to you,
>> great!
>
> Either your very confused, or I am.  I'm guessing it's me, so...
>
> I'll admit, I'm lost...  between two tuners, I record 30-40 hours a
> day.  And, I don't spend any time scheduling stuff, it finds and
> records it all based on show titles and keywords.  I've not set up a
> recording time in manual recordings ever...
>
> What are you saying $5/month will do that I can't do with EIT?

Nothing. EIT is working for you. I wish it did for me.

> EIT gives show titles and descriptions, often actors, and more...  The
> only thing I miss is star ratings of movies....  I liked the "3 star
> or better" option that was avaliable with Zap2It's data... but other
> than that, I'm totally confused.  I think I'm recording lots of shows
> (more than I watch, too many in fact).  I think it's doing it
> automatically (I don't know what you mean by manual).
>
> How will $5 save me any time?  It sounds like it requires a lot of
> setup, it sounds like it will take more of my time...

Yes. Please don't use it. EIT is getting you all the guide data you
need. That's why support for it was built into mythtv. It works for
people - usually people in europe. I have no luck with it in SF since
my local stations don't send complete data and I can't get any from
DirecTV. Not sure how many ways I can say it. I'm happy you get free
guide data. I can't. $5/month is close enough to free for me, though.