[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:22:20 UTC 2007

> From: Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> Robert Current wrote:
> > First, I found free data was available, but they refused to
> > acknowledge it.  Strike one.
>
> No one has to my knowledge pointed out a free source of data that
> is legal and can be used by any large subset of MythTV users.

All I can say to that is you must not be paying attention then?

This is all directly from TitanTV's website:
"Through its partnerships with leading Personal Video Recorder and PC
TV tuner card manufacturers, TitanTV provides you with the ability to
watch and record TV on your PC. TitanTV is the first online television
program guide to offer this convenient functionality that allows
members to gain more control over their TV viewing experience."

The PVR market IS their business model and target market, unlike
Zap2It.  As far as I can tell, some of those partnerships seem to be
with shareware and freeware PVR software, provided your using a
partner hardware product also.

This is also directly from TitanTV's website:
"NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLYTITANTV.COM shall be used only in a
non-commercial manner. TITANTV.COM is a free service for consumers and
is provided for your personal, non-commercial home use only. If you
are interested in a commercial application of TITANTV.COM, please
contact business development at (319) 365-5597 for more information"

IANAL, are you?  It seems pretty obvious that TitanTV's business model
is to draw PVR users to their website so they can profit from
advertising.  They have restrictions on how to get an account (partner
hardware), but then allow data downloads.  They do this hoping to get
users to login to the website to schedule recordings, and based on
that make a profit from advertising.

They can (and probably will) shut down any account that's pulling
boatloads of data and never logging in.  But so what?  If that's their
business model, it's hardly your right to say it's wrong and they
should do it differently!

Apparently it works for them.  If anyone thinks other PVRs are so
hugely different than MythTV that it violates the business model and
TOS, then they MUST be a lawyer speaking for TitanTV themselves, or
IMHO, are full of phooey.

Do you work for TitanTV?  Do you speak for them?  Do you even have any
specific reference to any statement from TitanTV that it violates the
TOS somehow?  If not, it's all FUD.