[mythtv-users] Looking for new DVB-S+CAM based backend hardware recommendations

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:44:37 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Paul King <mythtv at lowcostpchelp.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a quick question following on from phils posts. I have also been
> looking into this to recieve UK Satellite directly over the air into my
> myth setup without iusing an external set top box. I have also come
> across mention of the possibility of using a DVB-S card with cislot and
> a Dragon Cam which I believe will allow me to use a Legal subscriber
> smartcard to decrypt the channels.

Paul - yes it works, even with premium channels such as Sky Sports if you
enter your Sky box number into the CAM.  The CAMs are currently called
'T-Rex'.  You do need a fully paid up Sky card which will need to be put
into the original box every 6 weeks or so to get the new keys that are
transmitted - the keys cannot be updated by the CAM.  While you need to pay
your subscription to make this work (so morally and ethically there's
nothing wrong with it), and the EU is generally supportive of 3rd party
CAMs, it is a grey area legally and certainly not encouraged by the Murdoch
family, or discussion on this list.