[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6200 S-Video gives a Black and White picture.

Michael Jones mythlist at michaelandholly.com
Wed Sep 5 07:19:31 UTC 2007

Well.. This time I guess the computer wins the battle... for now.
The war still wages on.

I'm in the process of rearranging my current mythtv system using
Fedora 6, Myth 20.2 and some "spare parts" I have to create a
dedicated backend, and a frontend in the living room (eventually a
couple frontends in other rooms).

The old configuration was an Athlon XP 2800 running Mythdora4, A
couple of Hauppauge Cards, an Nvidia Geforce 5200 with the 9755
version of the Nvidia driver and about 300Gb of recording storage,
with a GB network to the server where all the ISO's for MythVideo
live.  Everything works perfectly when this system is connected to an
"older" Toshiba conventional TV via Svideo.

The new configuration is:

A dedicated backend on on a Pentium III, 1Ghz with the 2 Hauppauge
cards and GB network and about 700GB of recording storage.

A new frontend system is a Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz system with GB
networking and a new MCE (phillips) usb remote receiver (highly
recommended) and an Nvidia Geforce 6200 card with an svideo out port.

The frontend works perfectly when attached to a regular svga monitor,
but when it's connected to the TV via SVIDEO I get only a black and
white picture.

I wasted about 5 or 6 hours last night trying to get it to work,
trying everything I could possibly think of or research in the
various lists and such and NOTHING worked.

I've put the Mythdora4 system back in as a frontend and it's working
at the moment.. but I have another use for this machine and I'd like
to get the system put together as planned.

I've tried the following (and probably a few things I've forgotten
already.. it was a long night).

xorg.conf setup (this is copied directly from the working Mythdora 4
system)

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         Option      "TVStandard" "HDM480i"
         Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
         Option      "UseEvents" "True"
         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
EndSection

And a significant number of variations including:

Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Option      "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"  (When composite is used I get
nothing but a black screen.

I've set the vertical sync rate to 60..

I've, successfully I might add, set up twinview with a spare LCD svga
monitor and the TV.. but things on the TV are still B&W.

I've tried changing the order of the options (moved Option
"ConnectedMonitor" to line 3)

I've tried the following versions of the driver
7184
8776
9755
100.14.19

I've tried both KDE and Gnome GUI's (not that I thought that would
make much difference), I've scoured the options in the nvidia setup
utility..

I'm about at wits end here and I've run out of ideas.  Should I just
abandon all hope of making this configuration work and move the 5200
card into the new frontend machine and just use that?  Is there a
video card out that with an Svideo out that would actually work in
this situation without breaking the bank?

Any ideas, recommendations, or even a working solution, would be MUCH
appreciated.

Thanks Much.