[mythtv-users] XFS: options when running mkfs.xfs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Sep 5 16:42:25 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> Uh-oh - urban myth flame coming here! I had always been led to believe
> that unlike their Windows counterparts "unix file systems never need
> defragging".

In *normal* usage I've never had to defragment a Linux or Unix
filesystem.  But keeping a filesystem continually 96% full is not
normal usage. ;)

Whether the fragmentation *matters* is another issue entirely.  I
felt that my system had lost performance over time, and when I
started using xfs_fsr regularly I felt it came back.  But I have no
benchmarks to back that up, so it may be a placebo effect.  xfs_fsr
bills itself as a "filesystem reorganizer," so it may not be strictly
correct to call this "defragmentation."  The manual page does a good
job explaining what it does if you're curious.